||4-year Higher Diploma in Construction Engineering and Management
|Mode of Study
The Department of Construction in IVE(TM) will not accept new intakes for this Programme in academic year 2012/2013.
The course aims to prepare students for career as technicians in the construction engineering and management profession. It also aims to equip students with the skills required in the workplace, and to provide them with a foundation for personal development and further studies in the related occupational fields.
Year 2 :
- English and Communication for Construction IA & IB
- Construction Materials
- Elementary Science for Construction Technicians
- Mathematics for Construction Technicians
- Construction Drawing
- Basic Industrial Training
- Principles of Building Services
- Construction Technology I
- Environment and Safety Management
- Building Regulations and Codes of Practice
- Construction Industry in Mainland China
- Whole Person Development on Healthy Lifestyle *
- Whole Person Development on Teamwork & Communication *
Year 3 :
- English and Communication for Construction IIA & IIB
- Construction and Environmental Science
- Building Project Organisation & Management
- Principles of Measurement
- Computer Aided Drafting
- Safety and Industrial Training
- Construction Technology II
- Building Structures A
- Land Surveying I
- Project I (CEM)
- Law and Contract Administration I
- Whole Person Development on Self-condidence and Career Development *
Year 4 :
- Building Maintenance Technology
- Soil Mechanics
- Construction Project Management
- Construction Economics
- Technicians in Society
- Information Technology Applications in Construction
- Construction Technology III
- Foundation Engineering B
- Building Temporary Works
- Project II (CEM)
- Law and Contract Administration II
- Whole Person Development on Career Image & Ethics and Integrative Issues *
* Generic Modules, others are Vocational Module.
Graduates may be employed as works supervisors, site agents, project / site coordinators, assistant site engineers, etc.
|Articulation Arrangement /
Graduates can apply for admission to the following Bachelor degree courses of local universities :
- BEng (Hons) in Building Engineering offered by City University of Hong Kong (First / Second Year)
- BEng in Civil Engineering offered by the University of Hong Kong (First Year)
- BEng in Civil and Structural Engineering offered by the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (First Year)
- BEng (Hons) in Civil Engineering offered by the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (First Year)
Upon admission to relevant degree courses, graduates can apply for credit exemption. The level of exemption will be considered on individual basis.
The Department is negotiating with universities and academic establishments to offer graduates top-up degree programmes locally.
The course is widely recognised by the industry. Hong Kong Construction Association provides scholarships for students admitted to the course with outstanding academic achievement.
The course is recognised by the Labour Department of the Hong Kong S.A.R. Government as fulfilling the Mandatory Basic Safety Training requirements for working in construction sites. Graduates will be issued with Green Card. Graduates with stipulated experience are eligible to fit into Grade T1 to T3 of the Technically Competent Person (TCP) in the Site Supervision Plan issued under the Buildings Ordinance.
The course has been recognised by the following professional bodies as satisfying the academic requirements for admission to its membership :
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors(RICS Hong Kong) - Technical Associate
- Chartered Institute of Building - Associate